- Health and Social
- NHS Midlands and East - Social Marketing Scoping Research
- Scoping research for obesity marketing campaign - Kirklees Parnership
- Healthy Towns programme scoping research - Middlesbrough PCT
- Bowel cancer social marketing scoping research - NHS Hull
- Membership Survey - The Association of Anaesthetists
- Exploring issues around excessive drinking - Sandwell PCT
- Scoping research for early identification of lung cancer - HYCCN
- Evaluation of alcohol misuse training - Bradford Safer Communities
Bowel cancer social marketing scoping research - NHS Hull
NHS Hull required scoping research to be carried out to form the development of a social marketing campaign to promote the early identification of bowel cancer and raise awareness about early signs and symptoms, in the city's most high risk and disadvantaged areas. Enventure carried out scoping research to help health professionals gain insight into the attitudes and psychographic characteristics of the target groups regarding bowel cancer, and to pre-test public information materials from an existing cancer awareness campaign.
Enventure moderated four focus groups involving the target respondents, men and women aged over 50 from the two most deprived wards in Hull, including semi and unskilled manual workers and unemployed people, and both smokers and non-smokers.
Enventure provided NHS Hull with in-depth information about the participants' knowledge, experience, perceptions of and opinions on:
- General NHS services, and the role of GP surgeries in particular
- Early bowel cancer symptoms
- Stigmas, myths and misconceptions surrounding cancer
- Existing and potential future bowel cancer campaigns
Benefits to Client
NHS Hull was able to progress with its bowel cancer awareness campaign with detailed knowledge about the attitudes, understanding and likely responses of the target social group, including potential barriers and incentives to responding to campaigns. The scoping research also 'road tested' the effectiveness of an existing public information campaign, and gained information about the most effective ways to convey difficult messages, before NHS Hull invested in the new marketing campaign.